Re: MHonArc archives to be retired?

On Fri, Feb 16, 2018 at 04:15:01PM -0500, John Levine wrote:
> mbox, urrgh.  There is a perfectly good IMAP archive of all of our
> lists, one folder per list.  If you want to copy a whole list into an
> mbox file, that's about three keystrokes in most MUAs.

Agreed, but that means that it can't be done via a script
that just picks up the updates via rsync...and use of rsync's
bandwidth-limiting feature (--bwlimit) is critical for me, and
likely for anyone else who is on the far side of a slow connection.

Besides, Mailman maintains an archive of every list in mbox format
anyway, so the cost of creating it is zero.  If the root of the Mailman
tree is /var/local/mailman, and the mailing list is "fubar", then:

	/var/local/mailman/archives/private/fubar.mbox/fubar.mbox

has everything.  (Yes, the redundancy in the URL really is there.)
All that's necessary is to either make that accessible or -- probably a
better idea for both utility and security -- to rsync the entire ensemble
of all mboxes to a single exposed directory so that it's trivial to rsync
(or http/ftp) one list or ten of them or all of them at once.  If the local
rsync is done once an hour by cron that's easily good enough to keep
this repository updated.  And after the first time, it'll run in seconds.

Here's a script that does just that; salt to taste:

--------------------------
#!/bin/bash

outputdir=/var/local/www/html/lists
mailmanbin=/usr/local/mailman/bin
mailmanvar=/var/local/mailman
rsyncflags=-vaHx

mlists=$($mailmanbin/list_lists -b)

for i in $mlists
do
	mbox=$mailmanvar/archives/private/$i.mbox/$i.mbox
	rsync $rsyncflags $mbox $outputdir
done

---rsk