Re: Individual Draft Submissions.

--On Thursday, February 8, 2018 14:18 +0000 Khaled Omar
<eng.khaled.omar@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> With IPv10 you will be able to access IPv6 only from IPv4 only
> hosts, and with the DNS, as described on the draft, you can
> have AAAA record as a reply to hostname resolution from an
> IPv4 only host then the communication can take place.

Khaled,

Let me try to explain the problem a different way, noting the
response I sent a few minutes ago, and then I'm going to stop
spending time on this thread.  In retrospect, few of us are
convinced that, if we could turn the clock back to the first
half of the 1990s and start over with the knowledge we have
today, IPv6 would have come out the same way.   I can't even
guess whether there would have been consensus on a different
approach, but I think many of us would have different ideas as
to how to proceed from a protocol, deployment, or other
perspective.

If the ideas you are now calling IPv10 had been available to us
in about 1994 (again, in combination with what we've learned
subsequently), it is an interesting question whether they would
have usefully contributed to the IPng discussions and had
significant effects on what became IPv6.  Those questions are
particularly interesting (at least to me) because some of the
assumptions we made them about what was important and what the
actual marketplace empirically finds important today are
different and it is very hard to sort out cause and effect in
those changes.

However, today, that question is very nearly irrelevant in
practical terms and Internet design and development going
forward.   In my particular case, I cringe every time I see some
of the solutions that have been deployed to allow IPv6 hosts to
reach Ipv4 systems and vice versa.  But cringing doesn't change
anything and end users, probably unsurprisingly, don't care
about some of the issues I do and, more important, care only
about what it takes to get whatever they are trying to do (from
an applications standpoint) in a reasonably effective way.

Maybe the world would be a better place if things were
different.  But they are not different and the net result is
that you are working very hard to solve a problem that not only
does the marketplace not care about it, but they vast majority
of users don't agree that there is a problem.

    john