Re: Individual Draft Submissions.

Let me add one thing to Brian's (very helpful and accurate, IMO)
comments and an additional thought along the same lines...

--On Thursday, February 8, 2018 13:56 +1300 Brian E Carpenter
<brian.e.carpenter@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> Does the IETF allows individual draft submissions but in fact
>> they do not belong to the IETF work?
>
> Short answer: Yes.
>
> Long answer: Almost every RFC starts as an individual draft.
> If the draft arouses interest, it may be discussed in a BOF or
> a WG. If it arouses a lot of interest, it may be formally
> adopted by a WG. If it progresses well, it may be agreed by
> the WG (following a WG Last Call). If OK with the Area
> Director, it may be sent for IETF Last Call. If it passes Last
> Call, it will be submitted to the IESG. If agreed by the IEAG,
> it will be sent to the RFC Editor for publication.
>
> This process can easily take two years. At every "if", the
> draft may fail. I don't know the statistics; probably they
> could be extracted from the data tracker, but my estimate is
> that at most 33% of individual drafts end up as RFCs.

In the hope of avoiding additional frustrated questions, I would
guess that, if those statistics were actually pulled out, they
would also show that people who had already successfully gotten
work adopted and/or edited documents that became RFCs do
somewhat better in those statistics than those who have had
neither experience.  Some of that difference is a form of
incumbent advantage -- people are somewhat more likely to read
at least the title and abstract of a document from someone whose
work they know -- but I'd guess that more of it is that those
authors have a somewhat better sense (relative to newcomers) of
what sort of ideas are likely to get traction of suggested and
how to present them.

Put differently (and I think this has been said to you before),
while there is no requirement for what y0u might think of as an
apprenticeship in the IETF, those people who come to the IETF,
try to understand what others are doing and where interests lie,
participate actively in one or more working groups that align
with their expertise, and only then start pushing their own
innovations and ideas usually have a much easier time when that
time comes.  It may well be that people have shown up without
prior involvement, experience, and visibility in the IETF;
submitted Internet Drafts containing innovative and radical
ideas; and have those drafts evolve into Internet standards, but
it has certainly not been common, at least in recent years.

In spite of that, the comments of the last 36 hours or so
indicate to me that a number of skilled people are examining
your proposals.  That is _much_ better than my guess at the
average for unsolicited ideas from people whose work is not
already known to active IETF participants.  While I agree with
some of the reasoning in those notes and not others (because
those are not areas in which I'm actively working, my technical
opinion may not be worth much), the consensus seems to be that
your ideas, as posted so far, are just not practical. While
different people have focused on assumptions that you have made
they don't believe are correct, conclusions about the problems
that need to be solved that differ from their experience,
specific technical problems, operational or economic issues, or
something else, the conclusion is the same: unless considerably
modified in both substance and explanation, those documents and
ideas are not going anywhere in the IETF (or probably anywhere
else).

I hope your next proposal does a lot better.

best,
    john

those ideas