Re: Individual Draft Submissions.

On 08/02/2018 04:27, Khaled Omar wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have many questions that still without answers till now.
>
> Does the IETF allows individual draft submissions but in fact they do not belong to the IETF work?

Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: Almost every RFC starts as an individual draft. If the draft arouses
interest, it may be discussed in a BOF or a WG. If it arouses a lot of interest,
it may be formally adopted by a WG. If it progresses well, it may be agreed
by the WG (following a WG Last Call). If OK with the Area Director, it may
be sent for IETF Last Call. If it passes Last Call, it will be submitted
to the IESG. If agreed by the IEAG, it will be sent to the RFC Editor for
publication.

This process can easily take two years. At every "if", the draft may fail.
I don't know the statistics; probably they could be extracted from the data
tracker, but my estimate is that at most 33% of individual drafts end up
as RFCs.

> Does it means it is something to let people play with regardless of the ideas it contains?

Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: Innovation comes from trial and error. We don't expect people
to dump every idea they have into an I-D, but having ideas available in
the I-D "sandbox" is one way that the IETF encourages innovation.

> When an individual draft be considered on a specific WG?

** When a significant number of people think that the idea is useful enough
to be worth considering. **

I just had a quick look at my own history... I could give you a list of
about 52 I-Ds that failed. It's normal.

> I have 3 drafts and neither has been taken forward for 1-year.

See ** above.

> Even with having a co-author nothing have changed and I didn't get responses from the responsible AD or Chairs regarding each idea on every draft or even reserving a slot in the next IETF 101.

See ** above.

> I got many advices from different people but nothing in the core development of each idea.

See ** above.

> I don't want to keep working alone and making each draft takes the best shape and eventually they are not considered by the IETF and at the same time I do not want to bother people who think that this e-mail for forcing something to happen, no, it is just for understanding because when new ideas comes to the mind I feel they will face the same destiny as other ideas and the IETF will keep not caring.

Keep trying, but not with ideas that have already failed. See ** above.

Best regards,

    Brian