Re: Bangkok and IETF (was: Last Call draft-ietf-mtgvenue-iaoc-venue-selection-process-11)

On Sat, 3 Feb 2018, Randy Bush wrote:

to me, the crical issue is that i do not (yet) know nearby good coffee. and naveen, the fantastic coffee hunter, is no longer with us. but there is a solid coffee culture, and few starbucks, always a good sign.

We'll be within a few 100 meters from Emporium, one of the large posh shopping malls in Bangkok. We're smack in the middle of where a lot of expats live permanently in Bangkok. I don't even drink coffee, but I would be very surprised if you couldn't find somewhere nearby with at least acceptable coffee. I see people line up to buy coffee in coffee shops all the time where I am there, so +1 on the coffee culture.

About the lese majese laws mentioned in earlier email. Just be normally respectful to the fact that the Thai people love their king, and you'll be fine. Also don't do/bring drugs. Thailand has since the 90ties (or something) been under a lot of pressure due to "war on drugs" internationally. So they do not look the other way, and drug conviction is not a slap-on-the-wrist in Thailand. You get serious jail time, and from what I've heard, the prisons are not nice.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike@xxxxxxxxx