Bangkok and IETF (was: Last Call draft-ietf-mtgvenue-iaoc-venue-selection-process-11)

Just out of curiosity about criteria, could the meetings
committee or Secretariat identify the average and total number
of distinct IETF participants resident in Bangkok or elsewhere
in Thailand who have attended, e.g., the last five IETF meetings
in person?  By registering as remote attendees?  How m8ch would
those numbers change if Thailand and all adjacent countries were
included?

I should stress that I'm not objecting to the location; Bangkok
is a great city, I've attended a number of successful meetings
there, and, while previous experience predicts that someone will
find something to be afraid of or outranged about, I certainly
will not be one of them.

However, given the Last Call on
draft-ietf-mtgvenue-iaoc-venue-selection-process and, that,
while it says some things about convenience for active
participants and "to have someone participate in the site visit
who is familiar with both the locale and the IETF" (last bullet
in Section 3.3 or -12), the longstanding requirement (or at
least preference) for there to already be active IETF
participants in near-proximity to the meeting venue is not
obvious in the document (presumably because of an explicit
decision to drop it or because "near proximity" has been
interpreted so broadly in the past as to be meaningless).   It
would be good to understand, in quantitative and specific terms
rather than generalizations, the relationship between this
meeting site choice (and possible future ones like it) and the
specifications of the document.

best,
   john