Re: Today's transition for www.ietf.org

--- Original Message -----
From: "Rich Kulawiec" <rsk@xxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, January 13, 2018 1:51 PM

> On Fri, Jan 12, 2018 at 03:31:54PM +0100, Martin Rex wrote:
> > About the silly background monster photo -- could you *AT*LEAST*
> > use a picture name that is going to be eternally constant [...]
>
> A better course of action would be to remove it entirely.  It serves
> no functional purpose.  We all know what a meeting room full of
> people looks like and do not require a photo to remind us.

Agreed; it makes us look like social media.

On the other hand, I always thought that what I was assisting was the
development of standards, that the IETF was a Standards Development
Organisation; I find it strange that there is no mention of doing this.

Yes I know that there is verbiage about making the Internet work better
but that always seem like management speak, designed to create a warm
and fuzzy feeling as opposed to providing something concrete.  If
someone lands there with no prior knowledge, they will probably expect
us to speeding up the rendering of their web pages - after all, to most
people, the web and Internet/internet are indistinguishable

Tom Petch