Re: www.ietf.org

Hi.

I decided to put this thread aside for the last several days and
have just reviewed it (and the ones is spawned) all at once.
After thinking about the various comments, some observations
(none completely original although my summary may be different
from what others have said in some cases) and a suggestion:

(1) At this stage in the process, [re-]design by committee and
nit-picking are probably not helpful, no matter how interesting
and engaging they might be.   Bug reports to the IETF list
probably aren't either.  On the other hand, to the extent to
which a large collection of 404s or failures on validation or
accessibility tests show up, that goes beyond bugs and reflects
badly on the design and/or implementation processes (for which
see below).

(2) We know there are at least two different audiences for an
IETF web page -- participants trying to get work done and and
people trying to find out what the IETF is about.   Those may
further subdivided: there is a difference between newcomers
interested in better understanding and eventual participation in
the IETF's work, policymakers trying to understand IETF and its
relationship to policy development and work going on elsewhere,
and managers and others trying to make decisions about IETF (or
maybe even ISOC) support, permission of staff members to
participate and travel, etc.  Similarly, there are people trying
to find out what the IETF is doing in a particular topic area
and how they can get involved with it and those whose technical
interest in the IETF is more general or more about the Intere6t
rather than a specific protocol or cluster of protocols.

I think we all understand that it is impossible to optimize for
all of those audiences and sub-audiences at once, but it is not
clear that the current site reflects that understanding.  For
example, my guess is that the IETF's interactions with IGF (such
as they are) are probably of significant interest to only one of
those subgroups and, for it,  the explanation is probably not
nearly adequate.  I believe that is a symptom, not a particular
problem that, once solved, goes away.

(3) Whatever we do should reflect IETF values about quality,
security, etc.  If FaceOogAppAzonBaba conclude that they should
respond to their audiences and marketing personnel by web sites
with lots of animation, rotating pictures and videos, extensive
use of CSS and JS and links off to other domains, etc., it may
make the practices common and even what lots of people are used
to, but, while we should be aware of that in our design, it
doesn't make those practices "good" (much less "best") or what
we should be doing.   Given the concerns about JavaScript and
the obvious risks of links to non-IETF sites, I think the
designers should be required to consider every instance of
either as a tradeoff and to be ready to explain the importance
of each one to the community, not just to move freely ahead on
each because they think they are pretty and/or effective in
reaching or impressing some audience.

Given some of the other comments, if there had not been an
earlier  beta and comments on it, and if it were clear that
those comments were reflected in the later version (or the
reasons why not explained if the issues were even vaguely
substantive or strategic), I would not be writing this note.
But it appears to me that the spirit of many of the earlier
comments was not accommodated.

So, assuming two assumptions are correct, a suggestion.   The
first of those assumptions is that the IETF still makes
decisions about policy and strategy (not just narrowly technical
issues) by rough consensus, not by appointing people to make
those decisions for us.  I'm not talking about the details of
web page design, but I am talking about whether security and/or
accessibility is important in our public-facing materials,
whether we want to have a "marketing" stance at all and whether
the "work" pages and goals should be subsidiar6 to it or vice
versa.  If our leadership, or those who whom they have chosen to
delegate authority, don't believe the community is able to
understand those issues and make intelligent tradeoffs about
them, I just hope the Nomcom is listening carefully.   The
second is that there are conditions under which it is
appropriate to say "well, this isn't working" and go back to
design principles and new approaches.  A colleague suggested
50-odd years ago that software modules that demonstrated a large
number of bugs should be treated as deeply defective and
reimplemented from scratch, preferably by different people to
lower the risk of making the same mistakes a second time, after
the goals and design were carefully reviewed.  One has to wonder
whether the process that produced this general approach needs
review and evaluation if, after several iterations, the new site
is still as far from meeting the expectations of the community
as the length and number of comments in these threads would
suggest .. and to wonder whether the collection of bad links
from the new pages, validation failures, etc., are supportive of
the hypothesis that we have the right design and implementation
teams (Ned's recent comments about understanding and recognizing
when work is not good are directly relevant here, as is the
question of whether this is a situation we should be trying to
patch our way out of).

So, can we go back to the design goals and mission given to the
folks who did this, get it posted, and see if there is rough
consensus, now that we have seen what is supposed to be an
implementation according to those goals and see if we still have
(at least rough) consensus about those goals?  Can we ask the
question of how well the implementation matches those goals (and
any other goals that we might add in retrospect?  If the answers
are as negative as I think these threads suggest, can we have an
open discussion about what to do next, rather than another set
of back-room decisions?  And can we be sure that the option of
going with a different team is on the table, if only because the
current team, having spent a lot of time on this effort, is
naturally going to be more inclined to patch than to start
rethinking?  It need not be the choice and, given work done
already, I hope we don't need it, but it seems to me to be
important that it be possible.

best,
   john