Re: www.ietf.org

On Friday, January 12, 2018 02:36:41 PM Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 12, 2018 at 01:28:21PM -0600, Mary B wrote:
> > But, if the whole point of updating the homepage was to increase awareness
> > of IETF, it's not at all clear to me why it looks to be all about IGF.
>
> I am sort of surprised that the people who were apparently satisfied
> with the previous, text-heavy web site seem not to be reading the text
> in GIANT TYPE right there on top of the very image people are
> commenting on:
>
>     Internet user communities, businesses, technical folk, and
>     government coming together
>
>     At the recent Internet Governance Forum, some IETF folk were
>     present to listen to the larger community and to occasionally
>     speak about the issues which touched on our technical work.
>
>     Read the summary from the IETF and IAB chairs

I read the words.

As someone who's been peripherally involved in IETF work for quite some time,
but who's never been to a meeting, my reaction to the picture was "Wow.  IETF
meetings are a lot fancier than I thought".  It wasn't at all clear to me that
the main photo on the IETF web page would be about something other than the
IETF.

Frankly, once I realized https://datatracker.ietf.org/ wasn't affected by the
redesign, I quit worrying about the redesign.  It seems to be more about
marketing the IETF than doing the work, so it doesn't affect me.

Scott K