Re: When the IETF can discuss drafts seriously?

On Dec 19, 2017, at 3:50 PM, Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> That view perpetuates seniority over content. We reject kings; I hope we reject elders, if that is their only relevant credential, too.
>
> That's not what I said, or at least not what I meant to say.

Understood.  I’m still glad to have made the clarification, in case there was any ambiguity.

> What I meant was that coming into the IETF with naive proposals is close to
> guaranteeing failure. It's nothing to do with respecting elders; it's to do
> with the immense complexity of the network.
>
>   Brian

Certainly agreed. Further, vetting ideas in small groups for early feedback is a useful way to avoid consuming the entire community’s resources prematurely.

The best place to introduce an idea, especially a complex one, is almost never this list.

Joe