Re: How many rooms _actually_ available ? Re: IETF 101 - Registration and Hotel Reservations Open!

Which begs the question of why we chose London and not one of the other big cities in the UK.

- Stewart

On 18/12/2017 14:24, Mary B wrote:

On Mon, Dec 18, 2017 at 6:27 AM, Tim Chown <tjc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>snip

I appreciate the overflow hotels are chosen to be a certain quality, and are priced as such.  Perhaps some capacity in cheaper but still well-recommended accommodation would be useful to offer to the mix?

Tim
London is one of the most expensive places for hotels.  I have found TripAdvisor to be a good resource and the overall ratings are shown when you use Google maps to search for nearby hotels.  You can also sort hotels in London by best value on Trip Advisor.  Also, the Metropole is near several underground lines so hotels that aren't necessarily walkable still provide easy access to the facility.   There are a whole lot of moderately priced hotels near Bayswater road on Gloucester Terrace (15 min walk) - one I've stayed at in the past is Berjaya Eden Park: https://www.berjayahotel.com/london   The rooms are very small, but that's what you'll find with the lower priced hotels.  And, you can use a website like this to search for hotels in the area:  https://www.hotelmap.com/london-hotels/gloucester-terrace/526461/S  Any that are to the right of Gloucester Terrace are 15 min or less walk.   I've also found in the past that you can get decent prices on hotels in London by booking through aavacations.com  (I got a lower price for the IETF meeting hotel in Paris that way).

Regards,
Mary