Re: How many rooms _actually_ available ? Re: IETF 101 - Registration and Hotel Reservations Open!

> On 18 Dec 2017, at 15:30, John R Levine <johnl@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>> It wouldn't help us get rooms for IETF-101, but it would help with IAOC oversight (who oversees the overseers?) to know how many rooms were in the block. For example, knowing that only 75 rooms were blocked out and that 74 of them are reserved for staff and I* might raise questions. This where some transparency would help.
>> Indeed.  Or at least it can’t hurt.
>
> As I understand it, you're saying that you suspect the problem is that the IAOC, which is all volunteers you know, is holding back unneeded rooms for the people who run the meetings?  If that's not what you mean, what do you mean?

Just having clarity on how many rooms are bookable by regular attendees. I accept fully that organisers need to be based in the venue hotel.

>> I appreciate the overflow hotels are chosen to be a certain quality, and are priced as such.  Perhaps some capacity in cheaper but still well-recommended accommodation would be useful to offer to the mix?
>
> But you can look on booking.com or whatever as well as anyone else, and lots of people do.  What is the problem here?

That the overflow hotels are all similar style/price; just a suggestion that one overflow block might be more affordable.

Tim