Re: Proposal to revise ISOC's mission statement

On Fri, 24 Nov 2017, Miles Fidelman wrote:

> Ole,
>
> With all due respect,
>
> On 11/24/17 3:17 PM, Ole Jacobsen wrote:
>

> > Individual members of chapters have voting rights in their
> > respective chapter and the chapters are represented on the board.
> > You can look up the details just as easy as I can.
> >

> First off, that doesn't make one a voting member of ISOC, just of a chapter,
> nor does it make ISOC anything like a traditional membership association.

Did I say it was?

You said: "It's a non-profit with a self-perpetuating board of
trustees."

> Second, there aren't, and as far as I recall never have been, any chapters in
> New England.  (A couple of time folks have tried to start one in Boston, and
> given up for lack of any reason to.)

Residency may or may not be a requirement for voting. I am member of
the Japan Chapter, their rules say that only folks living in Japan can
vote (and I don't), but that's probably not a general case rule. In
other words: If you wanted to get involved in voting I am certain
there are ways you could do it.

Ole