Re: IETF 100 MeetEcho connectivity

--On Thursday, November 16, 2017 15:47 +1300 Brian E Carpenter
<brian.e.carpenter@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 16/11/2017 15:16, Randy Bush wrote:
>> what is the threat model which makes any sort of registration
>> needed?
>
> Dunno. Ask meetecho? I do understand that they need a
> registration in order for a remote attendee to speak, and that
> may be a last-minute decision.

AFAIK, there are two issues, at least if one accepts that anyone
was is going to speak or otherwise attempt to influence
decisions needs to be registered and, insofar as is possible and
reasonable, registered with an identity that is understandable
by others.  Note that should apply to entering anything into a
Jabber room (with a "MIC" request or not) as well as using the
Meetecho queue request mechanism.

One is the rapid switching Brian mentions above. If one
concludes, midway in a WG session, that one needs to speak up or
say something on Jabber, the odds are high that the conversation
will have passed the topic by if one has to pause and go through
a registration procedure rather than just switching modes.  That
is, IMO, the important issue on a short-term basis.

THe other is the cost of doing this remote participation stuff,
costs that are going to rise if things some of us have discussed
to make things work better or more smoothly are implemented.
ISOC's generosity notwithstanding, even some of us who are
happily taking advantage of the free ride are uncomfortable
about doing so.   If, as a community, we are going to understand
the costs and plan for the future, we need to have some
understanding of who is using the real time facilities and how.
Passive listening or video-watching hours or days later is
another matter -- we want to have the recordings for historical
and documentation purposes and the marginal cost of an extra
person downloading or streaming them is rather small.   But
real-time remote participant, and even remote observer, costs
are another matter.

IIR, the registration form does have an "I prefer to not
register" box.  That presumable locks one into Observer mode
with no possibility of a real-time switch to Participant.  IMO,
that is reasonable, important to have as an option, and should
accommodate anyone whose privacy concerns outweigh any desire
they might have to switch over to active participation.

   john