Re: IETF 100 MeetEcho connectivity

--On Thursday, November 16, 2017 12:21 +1300 Brian E Carpenter
<brian.e.carpenter@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Here's a modest suggestion. At
> https://www.ietf.org/meeting/100/index.html, even though there
> is a "Registration" link under "Remote Participation", it
> isn't apparent that this is a required step. This is made
> clear behind the "Info" link. So if the "Registration" link
> was removed, and "Info" link renamed as "Start Here", people
> would not miss the registration step.
>
> (The same applies to https://beta.ietf.org/how/meetings/100/
> of course.)

If we are going to design this by committee, a useful
alternative of addition would be to make the link text for the
main "Register" link under "General" read "Register (On-site and
remote)" and then be sure the registration form layout was
remote participant friendly.

The problem with removing the "Register" link under "Remote
Participation" is that those of us who have participated
remotely many times are fairly unlikely to click on an "Info"
link unless we think something is different.   To demonstration
this, if the "Register" link under "General" were replaced with
"Info", how often do you think you would click on it, at least
before you got frustrated looking in all the other obvious and
non-obvious places.

Another way to deal with the problem would be to move the
"Remote Participation" category up so it immediately followed
"General" and maybe create a new title in that column for "On
Site Participation" and make "Additional Events", "Social
Event", "Venue and...", and "On the Ground..." subsidiary to it.

It actually took me a while to find the remote participation
registration link because the location of that category at the
lower right, under the rather specialized "New Attendees" and
"Session Chair Tools" categories was counterintuitive.

   john
   (remotely)