Re: letting IETF build on top of Open Source technology

On Mon, Oct 30, 2017 at 02:44:27PM -0400, Miles Fidelman wrote:
> somehow application layer developers don't think in terms of protocols, they
> keep coming back to client-server models & software-oriented APIs, rather
> than protocols

Given that an _awfully_ large number of interconnections through what
I think of as protocols are effectively just APIs (usually using https
underneath), it seems that the "somehow" here is more that we protocol
nerds haven't figured out how to make our ways of making things work
attractive or even acceptable to application layer developers.  Sounds
to me like this is our problem, not theirs, and that we better figure
out a way to make it work.

I'm not sure the current proposal _is_ that way, but it's certainly
_a_ way.

Andrew Sullivan
ajs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx