Re: [GROW] Genart last call review of draft-ietf-grow-bgp-gshut-11

On Tue, Oct 10, 2017 at 7:33 AM, <bruno.decraene@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> [...]

Yes, that is correct.

 > I am not sure about the second sentence, it seems hard to read.

I'm open to reformulation.

 > I see value in just recommending a value for people moving between ASNs
 > (debugging other organisation's networks via BGP looking glasses) to
 > recognise as a highly undesirable path.

I agree.

> Reading RFC 2119 the
 > 'RECOMMENDED' seems appropiate, "use 0 unless you have a reason not to".

I'm fine with that part, but the subsequent RFC 2119 text "but the full implications must be understood and carefully weighed before choosing a different course." seems too strong for me, as there is just no issue with an AS choosing a different value.

 > This is a GROW document and I believe clear-cut guidance will benefit
 > all.

OK. What about using lower case "recommended" ?
Proposed NEW: Zero is the lowest value and MAY be used whichever LOCAL_PREF values are used by the AS, hence the use of LOCAL_PREF 0 is recommended.

(possibly adding "for consistency between ASes and implementations" )

Thanks again for your comments.
Kind regards,
--Bruno

I would prefer a normative RECOMMENDED, the rest of the sentence in RFC2119, just means you should explain the constraints on the alternatives. How about something like this;

"The LOCAL_PREF value SHOULD be lower than any of the alternative paths.  A LOCAL_PREF value of Zero is RECOMMENDED, however any LOCAL_PREF value lower than all other LOCAL_PREF values used within an AS is an acceptable alternative. The LOCAL_PREF value used, Zero or otherwise, SHOULD NOT also have another use or meaning within the AS."

David Farmer               Email:farmer@xxxxxxx
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE        Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952