Re: [Doh] WG Review: DNS Over HTTPS (doh)

On Thu, Sep 21, 2017 at 9:07 PM, Mark Nottingham <mnot@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
I suppose, although it would be good to understand if perf problems to a dhcp configured resolver are widely encountered.

I wouldn’t be against text in the charter that allows the wg to consider mirroring currently defined (by the ietf) dns discovery mechanisms. I’d be against definition of new ones.

​+1

​I think that everyone really needs to take a look at this spec: https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6763. It is not the best description of a general DNS discovery mechanism because it was not allowed to be presented as such. It had to be couched as an 'option'.

The DNS folk think that the answer to every problem is a new RR and they are oblivious to the fact that the DNS protocol does not allow that. Even if you can populate the records into the DNS your provider uses, the fact that you can only query for one record at a time or for all records makes use of multiple RRs for discovery unworkable.

What I would like to see is 'take RFC6763 as the starting point and define a common set of tags for use in TXT'​