Re: WG Review: DNS Over HTTPS (doh)

On 16 Sep 2017, at 4:24 am, Paul Hoffman <paul.hoffman@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 15 Sep 2017, at 9:44, Ted Hardie wrote:
>
>> I appreciate the charter's use of "HTTPS" as a signal that these are
>> intended to be TLS-protected HTTP sessions.  I note, however, that there is
>> considerable ambiguity still present.  HTTPS can mean HTTP 1.1 over TLS,
>> HTTP/2 over TLS, and it may mean HTTP over QUIC at some point soon (in some
>> deployments it already means that).  The document named as input specifies
>> HTTP/2  over TLS.  While the working group may, of course, change that to
>> support HTTP 1.1 and/or QUIC, it might be useful for the charter to
>> indicate which of these is potentially in scope.
>
> Yes, please. The charter should say "HTTP/2 over TLS". There is no reason for current browsers adding this feature to add it using an obsolete protocol. If someone wants to create a diff from the eventual protocol for HTTP 1.1, they can do that without forcing the document to add a comparison of the two transports to what is supposed to be a short, concise document.

Whoa; hold it right there. Last I checked, we had only obsoleted HTTP/0.9; 1.1 is still very actively used, still on the standards track, and despite some peoples' wishes, needs and gets attention.

>> If the community is sure
>> now that HTTP over QUIC is in scope, for example, having that noted in the
>> charter by adding the QUIC working group to list of working groups to
>> consult would be useful.
>
> The deadline for this WG is well ahead of when HTTP-over-QUIC will be finalized. Instead, when HTTP-over-QUIC is finalized, an update to this document should be pretty easy to produce.

I don't understand why anyone thinks anything would be required at all; if QUIC does its job properly, any application defined for HTTP/1.1 or HTTP/2 should work on HTTP-over-QUIC (whatever we end up calling it) without any changes.

I interpret the charter to say that this protocol is *using* HTTP, in the sense of <https://mnot.github.io/I-D/bcp56bis/#used>. In that view, this WG *cannot* change that.

>>> Specification of how the DNS data may be used for new use cases, and
>>> the discovery of the DOH servers, are out of scope for the working group.
>>>
>> While it is useful to know that discovery is out of scope here, I think
>> having a quick community discussion now of where it might be in scope is
>> useful.  There are some potentially interesting questions buried in that,
>> especially in how we expect interworking with existing systems to go.
>> Note that even if the service discovery method provides an HTTPS URI for
>> the name server, the questions above related to HTTP version or transport
>> may bite you.  For server discovery based on address and port, the
>> situation is much the same unless the port is clearly marked as TCP or
>> UDP.  And if the server discovery includes no port at all, then a happy
>> eyeballs type method may be needed.
>>
>> This may all fall into a combo of DHCP and DNSOP work, but giving somewhat
>> clean lines for it now seems like it will make the later work go faster.
>
> If you want to propose a new WG for that, please do so; there are a lot of people interested in that topic. It definitely goes across multiple areas of interest, such as "discovery" and "addressing" and even "trust". Personally, I don't think it applies to a transport document.

I agree that it's a preferable separable rathole.

>>> Milestones:
>>>
>>>  Apr 2018 - Submit specification for performing DNS queries over HTTPS to
>>>  the IESG for publication as PS
>>>
>> I admire the optimism in this.
>
> It was not optimistic with the charter that was originally sent to the IESG; see <https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-doh/00-00/>. As more issues are added to the charter, it makes sense to have to extend the milestone deliverable.

I'd prefer to keep the current milestone by avoiding additions.

--
Mark Nottingham   https://www.mnot.net/