Re: RESENDING - Incremental Deployment of IPv6-only Wi-Fi for IETF Meetings

On 08/01/17 12:34, Philip Homburg wrote:
>> Is precisely what CLAT (464XLAT) is resolving.
>
> So we have a standard way of delivering IPv4 over wifi. It actually works.
> It is used by billions of people every day without even thinking about it.
> By all measures a great success.
>
> We also have a way of delivering IPv6 over wifi. In typical IETF fashion
> we try to break that as much as possible. But it can be made to work.
>
> So obviously this is way too boring. We have both IPv4 and IPv6 that work.
> We need to do something, anything.
>
> So NAT64 enters the stage. At first NAT64 was used to solve a problem in
> the mobile networks where you cannot have dual stack for reasons only telco's
> understand.
>
> But now we can use that same technology to spice up the wifi landscape a bit
> more.
>
> First we confusingly call it 'IPv6-only'. There is nothing IPv6-only about
> NAT64. It is a technology specifically designed to provide access to the
> IPv4 world.

To me it seems there is a lot of confusion and mixing up IPv6-only and
NAT64, but at least for the IETF network they are two different
networks. On https://tickets.meeting.ietf.org/wiki/IETF99network the
ssid *ietf-v6ONLY* is described as "v6 only" and the ssid *ietf-nat64*
in contrast as "v6 with NAT64 & DNS64".