Re: RESENDING - Incremental Deployment of IPv6-only Wi-Fi for IETF Meetings

>Is precisely what CLAT (464XLAT) is resolving.

So we have a standard way of delivering IPv4 over wifi. It actually works.
It is used by billions of people every day without even thinking about it.
By all measures a great success.

We also have a way of delivering IPv6 over wifi. In typical IETF fashion
we try to break that as much as possible. But it can be made to work.

So obviously this is way too boring. We have both IPv4 and IPv6 that work.
We need to do something, anything.

So NAT64 enters the stage. At first NAT64 was used to solve a problem in
the mobile networks where you cannot have dual stack for reasons only telco's
understand.

But now we can use that same technology to spice up the wifi landscape a bit
more.

First we confusingly call it 'IPv6-only'. There is nothing IPv6-only about
NAT64. It is a technology specifically designed to provide access to the
IPv4 world.

Then, because of the fancy name 'IPv6-only' we claim it is the future. No
need to justify why modifying all hosts and making the whole system more
complex would be a reasonable future.

We have something that works today. We have plenty of experience delivering
what works today. No need to push overly complex technologies that offer
nothing more than a fancy name. That's not engineering, that's a hobby.