Re: The index page [Revamp of the www.ietf.org website]

On 27/07/2017 00:32, Tim Chown wrote:
On 26 Jul 2017, at 23:32, Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 26/07/2017 21:22, Tim Chown wrote:
Well, if it’s “one click away”, participants will just bookmark or go directly to that page, and not www.ietf.org. I know I will.  Just like I sometimes also go directly to the datatracker.

For added bonus, maybe the most recent last
call / most recent blog article / most recent call for
hotel reservations opening or the like were to be also
displayed, the front door would give me an added
benefit of possibly stumbling on information that I
needed.
Put all that on a one screen, participant oriented “index” page that we can go directly to.  Leave www.ietf.org to be the public shop window.
I seem to see a lot of people saying roughly the same thing: we need
an index page for active participants which is
  - static content only
  - very low on graphics
  - a typical font size (legible but not enormous)
  - displays in several columns on a laptop/desktop screen
  - displays in one column on a smartphone**
  - has links to the stuff we use daily

** which possiibly means making two versions.

And for me the exemplar is still https://www.ietf.org/content.html,
updated with links to the new site.
Yes, that page is a great example.

Tim

Indeed, as a tool to do the job this and the original page are far better than the PR centric new version.

As an introduction to the IETF they are better since I don't have to go exploring bits of the page to find out what might be their.

- Stewart