Re: More and more virtual interims

--On Friday, July 21, 2017 08:21 -0400 Alia Atlas
<akatlas@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Michael,
>
> At least my read of the suggestion is a bit of an expansion of
> what we do with WG Adoption and
> WG Last Call - where the mailing list "focuses" on a
> particular draft or topic for a week or two.
> MPLS has had some success with this tactic in the past.  It is
> the alternative that I encouraged
> and suggested to the RTG WG Chairs - but got many fewer takers
> on it.  I'd love to see more
> WGs experiment with this because it does resolve the time-zone
> & day-job meeting conflicts issues.

Alia,

I've seen variations on that approach work very well in some
applications and procedure-related WGs too.  I've also seen it
fail spectacularly in other WGs.   I think the difference is, at
least in part, that requests from WG leadership that the WG
focus completely on a single topic or small cluster of topics
for a while works well with WGs that are, themselves, narrowly
focused, with drafts that cover different aspects of the same
topic and the expectation that the WG's work is close-ended,
i.e., that the WG will be terminated when that work is complete,
rather than expanding or rechartering to take on more work.  At
the other extreme, if a WG includes multiple topics or subtopics
with different clusters of interested participants, I won't say
it is impossible, but probably a separate list should be
considered if it is necessary to concentrate for a while on one
specific topic or draft.

best,
   john