Re: wireless geolocation

On Jun 8, 2017, at 12:58 PM, Randall Gellens <rg+ietf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I personally find the effects more an amusing artifact that an actual
hindrance, but that's just me.

It made it a pain to schedule an IoTdir dinner in Chicago—I kept getting redirected to sites with similar names in Seoul.   I am embarrassed at how long it took me to realize that I could just use my phone's tethering capability to solve the problem.

That said, the artifact you are talking about actually happened to me in Chicago, because I was "in Seoul" as far as (some) geolocation services were concerned.   The way to prevent this behavior when in a foreign country is to use a VPN; this should work just fine from the IETF network, if not from the hotel network.

Of course, even better would be if geolocation information could be overridden from the browser; I'm not aware of such a possibility that actually generally works, however.