Re: wireless geolocation

Because it makes it very difficult to use various services if they think we are 7000 miles away from where we are. Latency can be bad, and using maps can be impossible. I don't love the fact that the internet works this way, but since it does, if we don't account for that, ux is significantly degraded.

On Jun 6, 2017 4:15 PM, "Brian E Carpenter" <brian.e.carpenter@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 07/06/2017 07:36, Leif Johansson wrote:

>> oh, and warning.  there is a significant chance we will see the issue in
>> praha as we have been unable to get a response from one major geoloc
>> provider (not google; they were wonderfully responsive).
>>
>> randy
>>

> Just came back from TNC2017 - a significantly less sophisticated network
> setup - that regularly runs into the same issue for the same reasons.

Does it matter?

Geolocation via topologically defined addresses is silly. Why do we
care about fixing it?

    Brian