Re: [Jmap] WG Review: JSON Mail Access Protocol (jmap) - reducing configuration complexity

On Wed, 8 Feb 2017, at 01:58 PM, Dave Crocker wrote:
So here's an entirely un-novel suggestion:  get the organizations who
are expecting to implement and deploy this to say so.

Sure! So, FastMail, Atmail, Linagora are all developing clients and server based around the current draft proposed to the IETF. There is implementation work happening in both Cyrus and Dovecot the two largest open-source IMAP servers. So far in this thread we've had representatives from Apple and Zimbra both expressing positive interest in JMAP.

The other side of this, which I mentioned earlier, is the many proprietary protocols that are popping up, invariably HTTP/JSON based, to replace the need for IMAP/SMTP (submission). Things like Nylas, Context.io and the Gmail API.

There are many benefits to the work we're proposing over IMAP/SMTP submission; the current thread seems to have got a bit hung up on the configuration bit, but while this is certainly an improvement it's just one of many.

You may think IMAP/SMTP are great solutions to this problem space, but it would appear industry disagrees.

Neil.