Re: Predictable Internet Time

On 1/3/2017 2:47 PM, Patrik Fältström wrote:
> On 3 Jan 2017, at 20:10, Joe Touch wrote:
>
>> They nearly universally use UTC, which is managed by the ITU.
> UTC is managed by BIPM in Paris, based on the Metre Convention.
>
> The governance of BIPM can be found here:
>
> <http://www.bipm.org/en/about-us/governance/>
>
> Leap seconds are defined by ITU-R, and decided upon by International Earth Rotation and Reference Systems Service (IERS). <https://www.iers.org/>
>
> And possibly more pieces of the puzzle are needed.
>
> So, "its complicated". ;-)

Agreed. Arguably, UTC is calculated by BIPM including leap-second
recommendations by IERS, but the ITU represents its global adoption.

Details not particularly important to this discussion; the point is that
this is a complex issue that has already been addressed. I fail to see
why we just don't consider the Posix definition erroneous and move on...

Joe