Re: Predictable Internet Time

--On Tuesday, January 3, 2017 20:03 +0100 Eliot Lear
<lear@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 1/3/17 7:24 AM, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:
>> Umm, my proposal was to ignore the opinion of the ITU in this
>> matter as in everything else.
>
> That doesn't work in all cases because there are often
> applications that require that the clock time on a device not
> vary from UTC by some set amount.  I think they're fixing for
> a big UTC leap second shindig in the next few years, anyway.

Also, FWIW, UTC is a CCIR/ITU-R specification, not an ITU-T one.
If one wanted to claim that we ignore the opinion of the latter,
it would still be hyperbole, but perhaps understandable.  If we
were to start ignoring ITU-$ recommendations, a good deal of our
Layer 1 and 2 infrastructure would stop working.  I assume that
is not considered a desirable outcome independent of the
discussions we are having about time.

   john