Re: New Version Notification for draft-leiba-rfc2119-update-00.txt

On 10 August 2016 at 17:06, Barry Leiba <barryleiba@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>     >> XML format and screen readers.
>>     >>
>>     >> I have not looked deeply into the final RFC-format XML spec.
>>     >> Does it already markup SHOULD/MUST/MAY in some useful way?
>>     >> Could it?  If it does, should this document point out this?
>>
>>     > That's a good point, and I will look into what this might need to say
>>     > with respect to the XML markup.
>>
>> Thank you!
>> I think that markup on these keywords would help screen readers if they learn
>> to use the XML instead.
>
> I have checked, and I propose this change to the draft:
>
> OLD
>
>    === NEW ===
>    In many standards track documents several words are used to signify
>    the requirements in the specification.  These words are often
>    capitalized, as shown below, but they do not have to be.  This
>    document defines how these words are interpreted in IETF documents
>    when the words are capitalized.
>
> NEW
>
>    === NEW ===
>    In many standards track documents several words are used to signify
>    the requirements in the specification.  These words are often
>    capitalized, as shown below, but they do not have to be.  This
>    document defines how these words are interpreted in IETF documents
>    when the words are capitalized and/or marked as <bcp14> in the
>    XML source (see [draft-iab-xml2rfc], Section 2.9).
>
> END

You also need to change the text for authors to include in this case.
A document will (one hopes) use either CAPITALIZATION or
<bcp14>markup</bcp14> but not a mixture. I'd propose, therefore, that
two sets of text be offered for use by authors. The alternate might
be:

      <t>The key words "<bcp14>MUST</bcp14>", "<bcp14>MUST
NOT</bcp14>", "<bcp14>SHOULD</bcp14>", "<bcp14>SHOULD NOT</bcp14>",
and
      "<bcp14>MAY</bcp14>" in this document are to be interpreted as
described in
      BCP 14 <xref anchor="RFC2119"/>,<xref anchor="RFCxxxx"/> when,
and only when, they appear
      styled as shown.</t>