Re: My two cents on draft-leiba-rfc2119-update

Just one bit here:

>    In many standards track documents several words are used to signify
>    the requirements in the specification.  These words are often
>    capitalized, as shown below, but they do not have to be.  This
>    document defines how these words are interpreted in IETF documents
>    when the words are capitalized and/or marked as <bcp14> in the
>
> This appears to say (well, it does say) that "the words" are used to "signify"
> the requirements and are not always capitalised when they do. It then says it
> defines how they are interpreted when capitalised "and/or" marked with BCP14,
> which implies that if I use lower case but reference BCP14 then the
> interpretation provided by this document applies. The later attempt to disclaim
> definition of "normal English meanings" runs counter to these two statements.

It's more than "referencing" BCP 14: it's using specific XML markup to
mark them as BCP 14 key words.  They will be rendered in all caps in
the generated plain text, PDF, and HTML.

OK, and a second bit:
There *is* a problem that this is fixing: we (collectively) spend a
lot of time messing with this -- discussing, in document after
document, whether lower-case versions matter, and what should be what.
This document is attempting to get rough-consensus answers so the
questions don't have to be re-argued over and over.

Barry