Re: IETF 100, Singapore -- proposed path forward and request for input

On Thu, May 26, 2016 at 2:27 AM, Paul Wouters <paul@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I have been thinking about this. If we would meet in Dubai, then I would
> not go because I'm an atheist which is a crime there and I don't feel
> secure enough this is a "legacy law not enforced". However, I would not
> be against the IETF meeting there because I do want us to try and be
> inclusive of the Middle East, something we haven't done well so far.
>
> However, I would hope we continue to strife to go to locations that are
> as inclusive as possible. Which includes skipping the US if Mr. Trump
> gets his no-Muslim rule enforced - as a practical statement, not a
> political one.

A thought experiment. Imagine a Trump-like figure in Indonesia
targeting Christians/Atheists/Non-muslims with elections in November.
Assume a meeting is scheduled there in March 2017. How many people
would feel comfortable going there ?

Now imagine the same situation in US if Trump gets elected (an actual
possibility). I see we have a meeting upcoming in Chicago in March
2017. Made up your mind yet ?

-- Vinayak