Re: [Recentattendees] IETF 100, Singapore -- proposed path forward and request for input

On Tue, 24 May 2016, Alia Atlas wrote:

I am concerned that we are pulling apart based on nuanced opinions of a
rather complex situation with insufficient information.

It would be interesting to understand how many people we would enable to come to Singapore that would not make it to an alternative location (I don't know which one this might be).

Sometimes there are hard choices to be made, potentially there might be 30 people that would be able to attend the meeting in Singapore who could not make it to Japan or Australia (just guessing here, and making up locations).

From reading https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Same-sex_marriage_in_Japan it
seems the same problems regarding next-of-kin exists in Japan.

So do we stay out of most of Asia because of LGBT rights issues? I checked for instance Thailand as well (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_rights_in_Thailand) and they have the same next-of-kin problem (from what I understood). We can't go to India, Malaysia or Indonesia either.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_rights_in_South_Korea seems to indicate same next-of-kin problem. So if next-of-kin protection for LGBT couples is a hard requirement, then we'd better find a new place for IETF97. Doesn't leave much time.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike@xxxxxxxxx