Re: Concerns about Singapore and other places

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tony Finch" <dot@xxxxxxxx>
To: "John R Levine" <johnl@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "Phillip Hallam-Baker" <phill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; "IETF Discussion
Sent: Wednesday, April 13, 2016 11:06 AM

> John R Levine <johnl@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > > The UK filter is an "opt out" filter, and I assume that we (the
IETF) opted
> > > out. ...
> >
> > This isn't the parental filter, this is the child porn filter, which
I am
> > fairly sure is mandatory, at last on consumer ISPs.
>
> As I understand it this kind of filtering only applies to the largest
> consumer ISPs. We don't have any filtering of that kind on the
academic
> network I help to look after, for example. The IETF network would not
have
> any filtering unless the IETF NOC put it in.

Well, applies to the consumer access supported by the ISP; get a
business contract with the ISP and AFAICT there is no filtering.  (Well,
there is, but of e-mail, not web access, based on rules on what is and
is not an acceptable e-mail, rules which are confidential and customers
are not allowed to know. I came across them when I sent an e-mail with
no subject and a three word body - this contravenes the AUP of the
ISP:-(

On the other hand, my local council filters web access heavily and
denies access to a number of wholy innocent sites, such as a bed and
breakfast in the country.  I have viewed the site from an academic
network and cannot see what it is the council have latched on to.

Tom Petch

> Tony.
> --
> f.anthony.n.finch  <dot@xxxxxxxx>  http://dotat.at/  -  I xn--zr8h