Re: Last Call on draft-bradner-rfc3979bis-08.txt ("Intellectual Property Rights in IETF Technology")

On 05/04/2016 07:15, John C Klensin wrote:

> FWIW, I note that undisclosed IPR is only one of the reasons for
> such an isolation principle.  If an AD works for an organization
> that has not announced, but is about to release, a product that
> would interact with a WG's proposed work and could not disclose
> the planned product (even if no IPR claims were intended and
> whether the WG ultimately produced a standard that aligned with
> the product or not), I'd want that AD isolated from influence
> over decisions about that WG too.  In a way, that makes the rule
> for ADs just like that for ordinary WG participants: the price
> of contributing or otherwise participating in a way that could
> influence decisions is disclosure.

Well, *exactly*. That's why I don't think that ADs or WGCs need to
be called out in any particular way: they participate and therefore
if they are reasonably and personally aware of IPR, they must disclose
(and if they can't disclose, they need to stop participating in
that particular case).

> Another aspect of my reaction to Barry's comment is that, given
> other changes in the IETF in the last 11 years, I'd really like
> to see 3979bis recast as a matter of ethical obligations to the
> IETF and fellow participants, with specific legal (or other)
> requirements stated as corollaries to those ethical principles
> rather than as standalone rules.

I'm sympathetic with that idea, but not being a lawyer I don't know
if it's feasible to truly separate them.

   Brian