RE: ietf.org end-to-end principle

> >  E2e places the cost of interoperability on the ends, where it belongs.
>
> The basic principle (it's NOT an argument) is that functions should go where
> they most efficiently belong.

Yes. I think that's a fine restatement in terms of architectural optimisation. Personally I prefer to think about this in terms of costs, because it's all too easy to conflate "efficient" with "cost effective". There is often a correlation, but not always, and of course it is the latter that actually drives procurement and so deployment.

(The actor bearing the cost isn't necessarily the one performing the architectural function. I pay my ISP to run BGP; in principal I could make alternative arrangements myself that could yield greater efficiency, but it would be wildly less cost effective).

A corollary to this is that designing successfully for systemic efficiency is really hard if you don't understand how the costs will be bourn throughout the system.

Josh.