ISDs [was: Last Call: <draft-ietf-dhc-anonymity-profile-06.txt> (Anonymity profile for DHCP clients) to Proposed Standard]

On 24/02/2016 07:44, Stephen Farrell wrote:

> Hiya,
>
> On 23/02/16 18:36, Fernando Gont wrote:
>>
>> That said... isn't this an indication that we should converge on
>> *something* regarding the meaning of "updates"? (i.e., it should be
>> clear what it means, and what rules should be applied when deciding when
>> a "Updates" tag is warranted or not)
>
> In theory, yes. I don't find it to be something that I'd prioritise
> myself. I suspect attempts to "fix" this would open a can of worms
> about the general semantics of relationships between RFCs and would
> likely end up being very hard to get done, and with not much benefit
> at the end.

It's clear that there is a problem with "updates", "obsoletes", "normative
reference" and "informative reference" being the only clearly defined
relationships between documents. Sometimes you just need to read a group
of documents with none of these relationships to get the whole picture.

We have a draft solution:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-klensin-isdbis-00

    Brian