Re: WG Review: CURves, Deprecating and a Little more Encryption (curdle)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Phillip Hallam-Baker" <phill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "tom p." <daedulus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "Harald Alvestrand" <harald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>; "IETF Discussion Mailing
List" <ietf@xxxxxxxx>; "Stephen Farrell" <stephen.farrell@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, December 09, 2015 2:28 PM
> On Wed, Dec 9, 2015 at 5:43 AM, tom p. <daedulus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

CMS,
> > XML

> > > The latter, and a bit of the former:-)
> >
> > There is also an active SSH list (albeit only about 5 message p.d.
> > lately which would barely be noticed on the TLS list:-(  and Simon
has
> > posted a message to the curdle list identifying some of that work;
and
> > you yourself have posted to it so you know about it!
> >
> > Conversely, I do not see most of those active on the SSH yet taking
part
> > in curdle (nor do I see any mention of curdle on the SSH list).
> >
> > Setting up this WG to look at SSH would seem divisive and unlikely
> > gain any meaningful momentum.
> >
> > I do think that the Security Area should be reaching out far more to
> > other areas to pro-actively provide guidance but do not think that
this
> > proposal has got it quite right.
>
> I don't think anything can be read into the lack of mention of CURDLE
> date. Even I wasn't aware of the proposed WG and it is something I
have
> proposed at least once a year for the past five. All the lack of
discussion
> shows is that the people weren't part of whatever discussions happened
at
> Yokohama. Quite probably they didn't attend which is probably the
reason I
> didn't find out.
>
> It is rather strange you would suggest that a proposal to establish
> consistent support for a set of algorithms across all the active IETF
> security protocols is 'divisive'. This is an engineering organization
with
> a mission, not a social club and our mission is to serve the users of
the
> Internet, not ourselves.

Phillip

By divisive, I mean that the expertise, the knowledge, the skills will
be divided.  I see the SSH list as the best source of information on
SSH, its use and development.  Setting up another list to discuss such
matters will divide that expertise; some will join the new list, others
will not - the expertise will be divided and so weakened.

Tom Petch

> From the point of view of a SSH user, what I care about is that the
> algorithm choices are secure and wherever possible consistent with the
> choices made elsewhere. I really don't care what they are but I do
care
> that they are exactly the same everywhere. Because that is what
standards
> are all about.
>
> Standards are a set of choices that don't matter. If the choice of
SMTP