Re: WG Review: CURves, Deprecating and a Little more Encryption (curdle)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stephen Farrell" <stephen.farrell@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "Harald Alvestrand" <harald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>; <ietf@xxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, December 07, 2015 11:30 AM

> Hiya,
>
> On 07/12/15 11:23, Harald Alvestrand wrote:
> > I think there's a piece of backstory here I'm not getting....
> >
> > Den 04. des. 2015 18:05, skrev The IESG:
> >> The protocols in scope are Secure Shell (SSH), DNSSEC, PKIX, CMS,
XML
> >> Digital Signatures and potentially Kerberos and JSON.
> >
> > Why is TLS not included?
> >
> > It seems likely that the answer is one of:
> >
> > 1) TLS is already up-to-date in the space this group is limited to
> > 2) TLS work is being done in the TLS working group
>
> The latter, and a bit of the former:-)

There is also an active SSH list (albeit only about 5 message p.d.
lately which would barely be noticed on the TLS list:-(  and Simon has
posted a message to the curdle list identifying some of that work; and
you yourself have posted to it so you know about it!

Conversely, I do not see most of those active on the SSH yet taking part
in curdle (nor do I see any mention of curdle on the SSH list).

Setting up this WG to look at SSH would seem divisive and unlikely to
gain any meaningful momentum.

I do think that the Security Area should be reaching out far more to
other areas to pro-actively provide guidance but do not think that this
proposal has got it quite right.

Tom Petch