Re: We need an architecture, not finger pointing.

> The second issue is that I believe that we have ample evidence
> that any attempt to open 5321bis would generate a tremendous
> amount of discussion (some would say "noise")

I'll suggest a very simple and basic point that makes most other issues
largely irrelevant:

     There is no community consensus about the changes that are needed
     to improve Internet Mail.

Many individuals are convinced they know Truth in that regard, but they
have little basis for their beliefs, little understanding of the
implications for the installed base or for the range of email scenarios
that are legitimate and useful and/or are ignoring quite a bit of
experience; but in all cases haven't bothered to garner significant
community support.

Many other individuals believe that the way to get improvement is to
throw out the current mail service and start over, but that is, really,
nothing but a preference for anarchy, since they don't even have a set
of specifics they are selling.

Get the community to agree on that changes in functionality or
operations.  Then we can try to figure out how to provide them.

d/
--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking