Re: [BOFChairs] IETF 94 - Registration and Hotel Information - no availablity

> On Aug 17, 2015, at 9:25 AM, George, Wes <wesley.george@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

> From: WGChairs <wgchairs-bounces@xxxxxxxx> on behalf of Jon Hudson <jon.hudson@xxxxxxxxx>
> Date: Saturday, August 15, 2015 at 10:27 PM
> To: Daniel Burnett <danielcburnett@xxxxxxxxx>
> Cc: "wgchairs@xxxxxxxx" <wgchairs@xxxxxxxx>, "ietf@xxxxxxxx" <ietf@xxxxxxxx>, Jared Mauch <jared@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Pat (Patricia) Thaler" <pthaler@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "irsg@xxxxxxxx" <irsg@xxxxxxxx>, "recentattendees@xxxxxxxx" <recentattendees@xxxxxxxx>, IETF Agenda <agenda@xxxxxxxx>, IETF Announcement List <ietf-announce@xxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: [BOFChairs] IETF 94 - Registration and Hotel Information - no availablity
>
> not being in the primary hotel has a very negative impact on my enjoyment and efficiency. The number of impromptu conversations you have is I think about 70-80% higher while at the primary hotel.
>
> Essentially you make more friends staying at the primary hotel. Those friendships keep us coming back, help us break through the stalemates & posturing.  We get more done and have more fun doing it.
>
> WG] I take your point, but if the room block is only 300, in a conference of ~1300, this is not the primary hotel in any manner other than possibly proximity, so perhaps inability to book here will be a blessing in disguise.

The last IETF in Japan I attended was the Hiroshima one.  I was in a hotel overlooking the peace park, and the folks had the IETF network in all the various hotels around the city.  It was a very nice experience.  While I was effectively “across the street” and had a physical key vs plastic keycard, this didn’t impact me significantly.

Japan is different in this regard when it comes to hotels, rooms, etc.. compared to other countries I’ve visited.  That being said, unless you are a big bar BoF attendee I don’t think you will be too negatively impacted if you are 300m away.  I think the Hilton Metropole in London you had to walk that far inside the venue to get to the elevators, or at least it felt that way.

I certainly understand the goal of staying at the venue.  If I were to offer some advice to those who coordinate the hotels it would be check that the link works on mobile phones.  I was away from a desktop and tried to book and it was impossible due to the IHG site redirecting me to their mobile site.

- Jared