Re: the names that aren't DNS names problem, was Last Call: <draft-ietf-dnsop-onion-tld-00.txt>

On 7/25/15 12:31 AM, John Levine wrote:
>> As Ted highlighted, John has thrown up a straw man that nobody would
>> ever reasonably propose (the IESG being consulted on every name), where
>> that has nothing to do with 6761 or any other existing or contemplated
>> process.
>>
>> Can we please at least stay within the realm of reality?
> Well, OK.  If the plan isn't that we get to look at every name in the
> next round, what names do we get to look at?

We don't.  Why would we?  It's better simply to stick with a list of
known problematic names – and keep that list relatively small.  For
instance...

> It doesn't seem likely that we can prepare a complete set of names
> with substantial informal use or other technical problems.  Some of
> the problems depend on context.  For example, there is a lot of old
> CPE that leaks queries for .BELKIN.  But maybe if a TLD application
> were from the same company that made the leaky devices, that would be
> OK.

I hesitate to get into a pseudo- 6761 application process, but if it's a
problem now, then we should discuss it now and not wait for
applications.  I don't know if .belkin rises to the level where we
should seriously consider it, but I know some people who have some views
on that ;-)

Eliot