Re: discussion style and respect

On 11/06/2015 10:48, Joel M. Halpern wrote:

> On 6/10/15 5:58 PM, Michael StJohns wrote:
>> Let me try this again.
>>
>> 1) Is my description of the IETF process reasonably close to reality?
>> E.g. does the consensus process contribute to "Standardization by
>> Combat"?
>
> Sometimes.  Not Always.

I think, specifically, that our rough consensus process is not conducive
to compromise between alternatives, whereas "voting (consensus preferred)"
does tend to lead to compromises. By "compromises" I mean things like
the ATM cell's payload size being the arithmetic mean of 32 and 64,
or the OSI Network Layer having two incompatible protocols. So it may
be a feature, not a bug, that our process discourages compromise.

When we have to choose between distinct alternatives, the next point
applies:

>> 2) If my description is not exactly correct (or always correct), how
>> does reality differ from this description?
>
> From where I sit, the difference lies in how the chairs manage the process when things get rough.

Exactly. And things can get rough quickly and unexpectedly.

>> 3) If my description is correct, can the process be changed without
>> changing the fundamental nature of the IETF?
>
> There may well be ways to improve the process.  Pete Resnick's efforts to clarify what we mean by rough consensus are probably
> an (unfortunately necessary) step towards such improvements.

True, but things can get very heated way before there is any real
question of a consensus call. This isn't at all easy for WG Chairs
to control, especially between meetings.

    Brian