Re: MD5 crypto!

On Tue, Apr 21, 2015 at 9:02 PM, Paul Wouters <paul@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Apr 2015, l.wood@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
>> Despite the existence of RFC6151...
>>
>> http://www.loginwall.com/Solutions.php
>

> 6151 only talks about MD5 Message-Digest and the HMAC-MD5.
>
> It does not include "MD5 encryption" :)
>
> Paul

For this particular application, MD5 is not the weakest link in the
chain, nor are the weaknesses in MD5 actually relevant.

I would not use MD5 in any application simply because there are
alternatives that don't require detailed explanation of why they are
safe. But I am pretty sure that unless we are talking about machine
generated passwords, an attack on MD5 is going to have a much higher
workfactor than brute forcing the password space.