Re: Gen-art LC review: draft-ietf-precis-saslprepbis-15

On 4/21/15 2:21 PM, Robert Sparks wrote:
I am the assigned Gen-ART reviewer for this draft. For background on
Gen-ART, please see the FAQ at

you may receive.

Document: draft-ietf-precis-saslprepbis-15
Reviewer: Robert Sparks
Review Date: 21Apr2015
IETF LC End Date: 28Apr2015
IESG Telechat date: Not scheduled

This is a very easy to read document for such a detail-rich protocol.

Thanks.

Nit:

The introduction calls out email addresses as an example of the kinds of
strings these methods are not intended for use in preparing (along with
LDAP distinguished names). But in the body of the document, email
addresses (or strings that look just like them) are discussed as valid
examples of usernames.

Long answer:

At some point, we modified the definition of the UsernameCaseMapped and UsernameCasePreserved profiles so that they could be used directly in HTTP authentication (see Section 2.1 of draft-ietf-httpauth-basicauth-update) and thus so that we could avoid having multiple profiles for username-like identifiers. That necessitated adding the '@' character to the username profiles, but we never updated the text in the introduction to reflect that fact.

Short answer:

s/email addresses//

Peter

--