Re: FTP Service Discontinuance Under Consideration; Input Requested

On 06/04/15 09:29, Eliot Lear wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 4/4/15 3:38 AM, Stephen Farrell wrote:
>> My suggestion is to forget about how 7258 might or might not
>> relate to the subject line here, and deal more with the subject
>> line itself. Let's save our energy for arguing about privacy
>> when accessing public information for discussing situations
>> where it matters much more and where users know less, both of
>> which are more typical and more important.
>>

> It seems that we're conflating two issues: privacy and protection
> against pervasive surveillance.

That was not my point. Mine was that we're conflating the
question asked (about FTP) with privacy issues in a really
non-productive manner. Debate about how and whether and why
to encrypt IETF materials would be far better done considering
all materials, and not a corner case like FTP.

Start a separate discussion for that if you think it's timely,
but one cannot base any sensible general conclusions on the FTP
question. Personally I don't think it's likely to be so useful
to have that debate now, since we had most of it during the last
call for 7258 and afaics most points and positions are just being
repeated here again. OTOH, maybe we'd come up with some good
ideas that'd help so it could be worth trying again, but if so,
please let's do that in a general way.

S.

PS: One idea; mirror all IETF public stuff in clear below some
other domain name (notprivate.ietf.org say;-) and migrate all our
other services to encrypted as we go.