Re: FTP Service Discontinuance Under Consideration; Input Requested

On 04/04/2015 07:20, John C Klensin wrote:
> And, as to "encrypt everything" for RFC-like documents, I hope
> we continue to be thoughtful about security measures and where
> they are needed.  It would be most unfortunate if we reduced the
> openness of the network or our processes in the interest of
> better protecting documents (or even access to them) that are
> supposed to be completely public.

True. But on the other hand, imagine a person living in a country
with unpleasant laws who wished to obtain a copy of, say, RFC 1984
or RFC 2804 without revealing to the authorities that she is doing
so. So there needs to be provision for secure retrieval.

(That said, I have no use case for continued FTP access.)

   Brian