Re: FTP Service Discontinuance Under Consideration; Input Requested

On 03/04/15 19:42, John Levine wrote:
>>> The majority of the current FTP traffic appears to be from mirror
>>> sites that would be better served using rsync.
>
>> the service for RFCs either.  FTP is antiquated.  In as much as we are
>> encouraging everyone to encrypt everything, most FTP clients and servers
>> lack that support.
>
> Since it's anonymous retrieval of public information, I suppose a bad
> guy could do traffic analysis, but if it's mostly mirrors, they'll be
> fetching everything so it won't reveal much.

That sounds right to me.

> The main problem with turning FTP off is that stuff will mysteriously
> stop working.  I wonder if it'd be possible to look at the FTP logs
> and see if there are people we recognize, and if so contact them and
> ask how hard it would be for them to use rsync instead, to limit the
> mysteries.

I think maybe the thing to do is to turn if off but with a
willingness to turn it back on (perhaps temporarily) if it
turns out to break something badly. I'm fine with whoever
are the correct powers-that-be making those decisions. (But
very glad to see this checked with the community first.)

S.