Re: FTP Service Discontinuance Under Consideration; Input Requested

Ray,

On 4/3/15 7:31 PM, IETF Administrative Director wrote:
> All;
>
> The Technology Management Committee of the IAOC is considering
> recommending to the IAOC ending support for FTP to retrieve files
> from the IETF servers and would like to hear from the community
> before the IAOC taking its decision. This does not include
> rfc-editor.org.
>
> The use of FTP to retrieve files from the IETF servers has been
> declining steadily.
>
> The files made available with that protocol are also available using
> http and rsync. (See the modules exposed at rsync.ietf.org using
> "rsync rsync.ietf.org::")
>
> The majority of the current FTP traffic appears to be from mirror
> sites that would be better served using rsync.

Thanks for the opportunity to comment.

Honestly I didn't even know that we were offering FTP service for
anything other than RFCs, and quite frankly I see no reason to continue
the service for RFCs either.  FTP is antiquated.  In as much as we are
encouraging everyone to encrypt everything, most FTP clients and servers
lack that support.

Eliot