Re: What is a "management position? [Last Call: <draft-farrresnickel-harassment-05.txt> (IETF Anti-Harassment Procedures) to Best Current Practice]

On Fri, Mar 13, 2015 at 11:54 PM, Brian E Carpenter
<brian.e.carpenter@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> For the recallable positions, the situation is much more tricky
> because a recall petition needs 20 signatories and is announced.
> Let's get real : if that happens, the confidentiality *will* be
> breached.

Thanks for noticing this.  We can't promise much confidentiality when
outcomes are public.  We should promise no more confidentiality than
we're required to by applicable law or than would be afforded by a
legal proceeding, except in the case where outcomes can be kept
private (mainly: successful mediation).  Due process too limits the
degree to which we can promise confidentiality.

As I see it, if I complain about harassment to the Ombudsteam then
they owe me confidentiality for my complaint if mediation succeeds.
Respondent may not get all the details and might be enjoined to afford
me confidentiality as well to avoid more public outcomes.  Beyond that
is a slippery slope that ends with all laundry in public at the most
extreme (legal discovery).

Nico