Re: Last Call: <draft-farrresnickel-harassment-05.txt> (IETF Anti-Harassment Procedures) to Best Current Practice

On 09/03/2015 19:50, Jari Arkko wrote:
Hi Mike,

Has either or both of the ISOC and IETF trust lawyers reviewed this, especially section 5?
We have asked for and received from outside counsel and the ISOC insurance folks a risk assessment.

For what it is worth, we’ve been told that there’s probably also (more) risk associated with not having this procedure in place :-)

In any case, after a discussion and feedback we revised some of the text in Section 2 and 5.1. From my perspective we are ready to move forward.

Jari

Jari,

In section 2 you have

   "race, gender, religion, age,
   color, national origin, ancestry, disability, sexual orientation, or
   gender identity."

If I look at the various lists I see in the EU, I see that you
have omitted: disability, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy
and maternity, and gender reassignment. Why are these omitted?

Additionally it is common to see religion or belief rather
than just religion. I assume that this is to cover the case
of discrimination against non-believers.

Finally not in most lists but gaining traction is obesity
discrimination.

Whilst you have catch-all text, not including the complete set of
commonly agreed criteria risks the IETF presenting the image
that those forms of discrimination are somehow less important,
provides scope for a Respondent to escape appropriate sanction,
and may cause a Reporter to be reluctant to put forward
a legitimate complaint in these regards.

- Stewart